Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A post a day keeps dementia away

This is my first daily blog. An attempt, if one be needed, to ensure that I keep my brain working on a daily basis. I was stimulated to begin writing a daily blog by Dolores, who read somewhere that people who do more than 4 crosswords a week reduce their risk of alzheimers by 50%. As a scientist, I'm a little sceptical that it is the action of solving crossword clues per-se that prevent the clumping of amylo-proteins in the cortex, and would like to know if alternative forms of puzzle-grappling have the same effect. What if someone eschews the idea of playing with words and focuses exclusively on the popular, numerically-oriented, square-filling game known as Soduku. Will they accrue the same benefit?

The problem with these ex-cathedra statistics in general is that they make good headlines but rarely stand up to scrutiny. Ask yourself - why 4 crosswords, why 50%, how was this measured, how long was the follow-up, what are the caveats?

I don't do crosswords, or soduku. Am I doomed? I'm having trouble remembering things already, so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by writing a daily diary. On the one hand, I'll be keeping my brain active, and on the other I'll be writing things down to help me remember what I did / plan to do.

I'll confess now that it's unlikely to be daily, or even much of a diary, but at least I begin hopefully. It's going to be mainly my thoughts-of-the-day, probably reacting to some news item, particularly if it involves the government / business trying to convince us that modern life is good, when it is, in fact, often rubbish. The other blogs will keep going, if I remember to update them.

J McC

P.S. Dolores thinks I'm 'nuts' just for trying to do this. She has a point, and it's already got me worried. Am I actually going to drive myself crazy by attempting to prevent degeneration?

1 comment:

Jeffer Shen said...

Rolex has redesigned the geometry of the Swiss lever replica watches sale escapement – found in the absolute majority of modern mechanical timepieces – by re-engineering the size and replica watches sale shape of the escape wheel, the pallet fork, and the pallet jewels. Specifically – for those watchnerds interested in these subtle details of Rolex's latest and most advanced movement – the thickness of the pallet stones has been rolex replica sale reduced by half, while the contact surfaces of the escape wheel teeth have been doubled. Also, the escapement system is no longer in alignment, but slightly offset, thus multiplying the lever effect; and last, the escape audemars piguet replica wheel has a cut-out design to make it lighter and reduce its inertia. All these seemingly minuscule changes account for the improved efficiency of an escapement design swiss replica watches that has been around for over two centuries.